Pillow-an important bedding that affects the quality of our sleep. In the morning, you may Wake up with a headache and a stiff neck, despite the fact that you slept on a beautiful mattress, and the reason for this may be your pillow. Its main purpose is to support the head and cervical spine of the sleeper in the correct position, so that in these places the blood circulation is not disturbed, and the spine is not curved. The ability to cope with this task depends on the material that is filled with this accessory.
In order to rest on the pillow was really pleasant and useful, it is important to fill it with material that will have the following quality characteristics:
- Resistance to microorganisms, fungi, etc.;
- Ability to regulate heat exchange;
- Ease and quick recovery of the form after removing the load;
- Durable and easy to care for;
- Resistance to odors and dust;
- The production of this material must be environmentally friendly.
Advantages and disadvantages of different types
Today, a lot of different materials and their combinations are used for filling pillows. By their origin, fillers can be natural and synthetic.
Natural (there are vegetable and animal origin)
– Down and feather of waterfowl. Goose and duck down and feathers are mainly used. Pillows with such filling are soft and fluffy, well pass air and retain heat and shape. When deformed, it is enough to beat them with your hands and they will return to the previous volume, in addition, with proper care, they will last a very long time.
The more fluff and less feather in it, the softer and more expensive the pillow. More pen gives the product rigidity and reduces the cost of it. Feather pillows absorb dust and are a great environment for mites and other microorganisms, so they can cause allergies.
At home, they are difficult to care for: they can not be washed, and periodic drying and cleaning should be done in specialized services. In addition, feathers and down can absorb foreign odors.
– The wool of camels and sheep perfectly keeps warm, and also has a therapeutic effect, it is soft, well-ventilated and at the same time can perfectly absorb and evaporate moisture. The disadvantage of this filler is its ability to cause allergies, short-lived (over time, the wool falls into lumps), the risk of moths and microorganisms. Do not wash the product.
– Bamboo. Raw materials are obtained by processing young shoots of this plant. It has a lot of advantages and almost no disadvantages with proper care. This is an environmentally friendly material that has bactericidal properties, so it is resistant to microorganisms and mold, hypoallergenic and durable. Bamboo pillows are comfortable to sleep on, they are soft and elastic, easy to wash in a delicate mode.
– Silk. Pillows stuffed with silk fibers – a pure pleasure: comfortable, non-allergenic, with excellent microclimate and wear resistance (service life-up to 15 years). After a delicate wash, it is enough to beat them and they will regain their former appearance. The disadvantage is the high price.
– Lyocell (eucalyptus) – cellulose fibers obtained in a special way from the eucalyptus tree, combine the softness of silk and the tenderness of cotton material. They are very light and elastic, breathable and therefore do not create a greenhouse effect. Eco-cleanliness, hypoallergenic, excellent thermoregulation, antiseptic properties are the main advantages of this innovative material. Delicate washing and gentle push-UPS will allow the pillow with this filler to keep its shape and functionality for years.
Minus-the high cost of products. Often a combination of Lyocell with other synthetic fillers is used, which helps to reduce the price, although it somewhat reduces the quality characteristics.
– Buckwheat husk, separated from the grains and specially processed, is an environmentally friendly filler and is suitable for people suffering from allergies. The advantages of this material include orthopedic properties, breathability, resistance to damage by microorganisms and dust. Buckwheat husk easily takes the form of a body and does not get off in lumps.
Undesirable qualities: rustle, stiffness, which takes time to get used to, short-lived (service life of 3-5 years), constant care (drying, airing).
– Cotton. Fluffed cotton threads are hygroscopic and retain heat well, they are hypoallergenic and pass air. Minus-they are quickly deformed and short-lived.
– Natural latex due to the many air-filled bubbles has excellent elasticity and the best orthopedic qualities. It is not afraid of mold, parasites and microbes, it is durable and does not absorb odors. Latex does not cause allergies and does not require complex care (washing in warm water).
Minus-insufficient moisture absorption (so the product is perforated to improve this quality) and expensive cost.
– Herbs-fees with chamomile, mint, lemon balm, hops, etc. due to their medicinal qualities are used as a calming and relaxing means during sleep. Pillows with such content are used as an addition to the main accessory.
Synthetic fillers today quite a lot and all of them have one undisputed advantage over most natural: they do not absorb dust, odors, poorly absorb moisture, so do not cause allergies. The main differences between synthetic materials are in the features of the structure, wear resistance and some quality characteristics.
The most popular fillers of synthetic origin:
– Hollow fiber is a non-woven fabric made of hollow spiral siliconized polyester threads intertwined in different directions. Due to this, many air chambers are formed between them, so the Hollow fiber is a very warm material. It is very strong and elastic, perfectly holds its shape and does not roll into lumps. Since it has a lot of air, pillows with this filler are light and “breathable”, without the greenhouse effect. The hollow fiber does not start fungi and microorganisms, does not accumulate dust, it is perfect for people suffering from allergies and asthmatics.
Pillows with this material are easy to care for, they can withstand repeated washing, dry quickly and retain volume. Due to the glueless production process, the hollow fiber does not contain toxic or irritating substances and therefore is as close as possible to natural materials in terms of safety.
– Fiber differs from Hollow fiber only in structure-polyester fibers are formed into balls. In the pillow, they move freely and adjust to the shape of the body, giving a feeling of unique comfort. Fiber in no way inferior to down, but it absolutely does not cause allergies. When folded, the pillows are very compact, convenient to store and transport, they are easy to wash and dry.
– Polyester batting is the cheapest of synthetic fillers. He is considerably inferior to the hollow fiber and analogues in terms of breathability and elasticity. The advantages of this material include the fact that it does not cause allergies, soft, does not absorb odors, it can be washed, sinteponovye cheap pillows. The drawback is short-lived.
– Microfiber is an extremely thin polyester fiber, its properties are very close to natural down: the same light and soft, perfectly retain heat and allow the skin to breathe. At the same time, thanks to modern technological processes, microfiber is a hypoallergenic material that does not absorb odors and dust, pillows retain their properties and shape during long – term use.
– Polyurethane foam with high elasticity and the ability to “remember” the shape of the body (memory) is used for the manufacture of orthopedic pillows. It precisely follows the shape of the body and supports the spine in the correct position, providing comfort. It is hypoallergenic and hygienic material, it is easy to care for (only the pillowcase is erased). Disadvantages: high cost, insufficient ventilation, stiffness, which increases when the temperature decreases.
– Styrofoam-foam balls no larger than 2 mm, obtained as a result of heat treatment of polymer granules. They move freely in the cover of the product, evenly distributed throughout the volume, repeat the shape of the body, providing it with the necessary support. The filler does not absorb heat and always maintains room temperature. It is hypoallergenic and does not absorb odors. The disadvantage of pillows with this filler is that they can not be washed and they rustle.
Top 5 Pillow fillings
Fairfield The Original Poly-Fil Premium Box, 20 lb, White
Ivie Organic Luxury Cotton Fiber Batting 1lb Natural Color Eco Friendly High Fill Power Stuffing for Pillow Comforter Dolls (Combed Cotton Fiber（1 Pound）)
This may be interesting and useful for you: