Bamboo pillow: advantages and disadvantages
Bamboo pillow, the pros and cons of which we will consider in this article. In recent years, progressive production technologies have rapidly burst into our everyday life. It would seem that a simple pillow, but thanks to the bamboo filler, it has become a popular novelty in the world of bedding.
What is a bamboo fiber pillow
The concept of “bamboo”, which evokes associations with something hard and hard, is firmly ingrained in our minds. So why is the pillow itself, light as fluff, almost airy? It’s all about the bamboo fiber filler.
Mass production of this fiber began at the end of the last century. Its main supplier was China. It is there that the largest areas of growth of the giant frost-resistant moso bamboo are up to 30 m high and up to 20 cm thick. This plant does not require care, fertilizers, and pest control, so it is environmentally friendly. For processing, trunks are not older than 4 years. The resulting cellulose fiber is fluffy, white, and many times stronger than viscose. It is used as a natural filler.
The cover can be made of various types of fabric: pure cotton (teak-luxury), a mixture of cotton and polyester (teak), synthetic (microfiber). The most expensive fabric is made of 100% bamboo fiber produced by mechanical means.
A pleasant surprise for the buyer will be the presence of a removable cover. Quilted from the inside with a layer of bamboo fiber, it:
withstands many washes.
The product is more expensive, but the cost is paid for by the convenience of caring for it.
The pillow has the usual shape and standard sizes for Russian manufacturers: length 40-80 cm, width 30-50 cm. Euro-size 40×80 is an oblong product.
Characteristics and production technologies of bamboo pillows
Bamboo fiber in pillows is very strong, soft, porous structure, always white. These external features are the same for any production technology.
The most expensive method of manufacturing fiber is called mechanical. A homogeneous mass of crushed bamboo stems treated with natural enzymes is brought to a soft state. From it, threads of no more than 20 cm are drawn manually. the production of fiber by this method is very labor-intensive, low productivity, but environmentally friendly, without impurities and the intervention of chemical reagents.
Chemical processing produces large volumes of cheap product in a short time. Crushed into sawdust stems and leaves are treated with a reagent to the state of adhesive mass, which is passed through special plates. The fiber, after passing through small holes, is lowered into an acidic environment, where it remains until it is completely solidified. At the final stage, the raw material is processed from harmful substances.
When purchasing a product made of bamboo, it is necessary to pay attention to the marking. “Bamboo linen” – bamboo linen, will mean that the filler is produced mechanically. A pillow filled with chemical fiber will be labeled “bamboo viscose” — bamboo viscose or” bamboo rayon ” – bamboo silk. Usually it contains up to 70% bamboo filler mixed with hollofayberom, sinteponom or polyester, otherwise it will quickly lose its shape. There are models where 100% bamboo fiber fills the quilted cover, and inside the Swan artificial down.
Pros and cons of pillows with bamboo filling
Like any product, a pillow with a bamboo filling has its advantages and disadvantages. Pros speak in favor of such an acquisition:
- natural filler is environmentally friendly, does not cause allergic reactions. In the production of bamboo fiber, all harmful and toxic chemical compounds are removed using modern technologies. The fiber at the outlet is carefully monitored for safety for human health;
- the filler is bactericidal, so the threat of microscopic mites and fungi is completely excluded. Bamboo contains a natural antibiotic, does not give in to rotting processes, microbes die within two hours. This can not be said about the filler from the down and feather of poultry, sheep and camel hair;
- the product is hygroscopic, if it absorbs moisture, it dries quickly, ideal for a humid climate;
- the pillow does not absorb odors, does not accumulate them;
- the filler and fabric of the cover perfectly pass air, regulate the heat balance in the heat and cold;
- the product perfectly retains its shape, the filler does not fall off, remains lush for several years;
- does not require special care and dry cleaning, easy to wash at home, dries quickly, returns the original shape;
- it has an affordable price.
Some features of pillows with bamboo filling can be attributed to their disadvantages:
- the filler is deformed if it is not washed according to the instructions;
- in the morning, the pillow must be whipped and straightened;
- over time, the fiber is caked;
- if the product is used for a long time in very wet conditions, it does not have time to dry out;
- it is not recommended for people with intervertebral hernias, protrusion, or a pronounced form of osteochondrosis.
Comparison with other fillers
To finally decide on the choice of pillows made of bamboo, you need to get acquainted with other types of fillers.
- Filler made of chicken feather, Swan’s down is popular with those who are used to following traditions and habits. These pillows served for many years, and in rural areas were made on their own. Unlike bamboo, you can not wash them, you need to clean them from feather mites and microbes, air them and dry them in the sun.
- If the pillow is filled with sheep or camel hair, then, despite a number of positive qualities, it is contraindicated for people suffering from allergies. Wool is the most favorite place for moths to breed.
- Pillows made of eucalyptus or containing herbs are not suitable for everyone. The constant plant aroma can cause a feeling of fatigue in the morning, sometimes a headache, and the bamboo filler does not have a smell.
- Buckwheat husk makes the pillow heavy, flatter. In comparison with bamboo filler, light and fluffy, it loses.
- Cotton wool filler is short-lived. This pillow is knocked into lumps, it is very uncomfortable to sleep. This is a fertile place for fungus and mites.
- Non-woven pillows, as with Kapok filler, are soft, but do not restore the shape and have a short service life.
- Fillers from sintepon, hollofayber, polyester, komforel, fiberlona, despite their positive qualities, are a synthetic material. Bamboo fiber is of plant origin, environmentally safe and does not cause a negative reaction of the body.
How to choose a pillow with bamboo filling
The modern bedding market has many suppliers of products, among which it is not easy to navigate.
Pillows with filling from bamboo are manufactured in factories. When going for a purchase, it is good to get acquainted with the reviews of manufacturers in advance, and also know what criteria it is selected by:
- the amount of bamboo filler in the product should be within 50-70%;
- seams without distortions, do not loop, threads do not stick out;
- to check the naturalness of bamboo, you need to draw a little air through the product. A positive result indicates that the pillow is filled with real bamboo fiber;
- the tag must contain the brand name and the supplier’s coordinates.
Many believe that they are produced in the same version, but this is not the case. There are pillows for children. They are flat, smaller, and light in weight. Even for a child under one year old, you can choose a product with a height of no more than 3 cm, high hypoallergenic. With this pillow, the baby’s comfortable sleep is guaranteed.
A bamboo orthopedic pillow supports the neck in an ideal position during sleep. It is indispensable for frequent headaches, unpleasant pain in the cervical spine and for full rest of the entire body.
Care for pillows made from bamboo
The choice is made, the purchase is already at home. Of course, you want to extend the period of its use. To do this, follow the simple rules of operation of the pillow:
- store only in a dry place in a horizontal position;
- after sleep, straighten, shake, shake thoroughly at least once a week;
- wash gently, by hand or in a machine at a temperatur not higher than 40 degrees with a liquid detergent for delicate washing. Before starting, check the integrity of all seams. Rinse as many times as possible without pressing. Dry only in a horizontal position, but not in the sun;
- do not dry-clean, as all reagents will be absorbed and the properties for which it was purchased will be lost.
The modern textile market offers a wide range of bamboo pillows of various prices. A well-chosen pillow is a guarantee of sound and healthy sleep, cheerfulness and mood for the whole day. This product does not require a lot of time to care for it and will satisfy the most demanding customers.
Pillows with bamboo filling are very popular as environmentally friendly, natural plant origin, meeting all the requirements of hygiene and orthopedics. There is no substitute for them among similar products for their antibacterial and hypoallergenic effect. Buy them and sleep a calm, healthy sleep!
Top-5 bamboo pillow
Pillows for Sleeping – 2 Pack Cooling Shredded Memory Foam Bed Pillows with Bamboo Hypoallergenic Covers (Queen Size)
Ontel MBPF-MC6/2 Miracle Shredded Memory Foam Pillow with Viscose from Bamboo Cover, Queen, White
Bamboo Pillow – Premium Pillows for Sleeping – Memory Foam Pillow with Washable Pillow Case – Adjustable (Queen)
Bamboo Pillow Memory Foam – Stay Cool Removable Cover with Zipper – Hotel Quality Hypoallergenic Pillow Relieves Snoring,migraines, Insomnia, Neck Pain and Tmj, Also Help with Asthema (King)
Mastery Mart Shredded Memory Foam Pillow for Sleeping, Washable Bamboo Pillowcase Cover, Fully Adjustable Loft, Inner Zipper, Bed Pillow for Neck Side Sleeper, CertiPUR-US (Queen Size)
This may be interesting and useful for you: